QuitCounter

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Story Behind Quitting

They say, take the first step and you're halfway there.
But apparently, the first step is always the toughest part.

When I met my boyfriend seven months ago, I had so much realizations about life.
When my most beloved grandmother died four months ago, I had so much realizations about death.
And both of those realizations led to this life-changing decision -- quitting smoking.

Around this time 15 years ago was the first time I tried smoking. When I was happy, I smoke. When I was ecstatic, I smoke. When I was sad, I smoke. When I was disappointed, I smoke. When I was bored, I smoke. I had so much reasons to smoke. And every time I think that one of those days in the past was the best time to quit, I always find reasons not to give up smoking.

The realization of quitting never happened in a day. It was an accumulation of little happenings of everyday. I am quitting, not mainly because I can save a lot of money, most especially I live in a city that vices don't come in cheap. Albeit, it is good, but most importantly, I've regarded my physical body as a temple of my soul -- a tangible thing that I should be very responsible of.

I am not quitting because of the pressure from people who pushes me to quit. I am quitting because I have finally realized that, I can only allow good things to enter into my being. If I should be looking forward to a good life, I should start with myself.

This quitting may not be easy. Aside from the articles I've read, I personally feel that a habit is always tough to break. Nevertheless, I am positive that I'll be able to overcome it, most especially with the support of people close to me.

This is the kind of quitting that I am very sure I shall win.

No comments:

Post a Comment